View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longshot66
Prefect

re: PvE Marks Sniper Guide

Hello Umbra. I've just started playing on the Sphere again, since launch I have mostly been on another server playing republic with some friends. I wrote this guide for gunslingers on our guild forums over there, but thought it could be useful for some up and coming snipers. I'll update the guide and put in the right names for sniper abilities here soon.

3.6.12 Sharpshooter Gunslinger PvE Guide Update

Well I've now had a bit of time playing at 50 to get a much better feel for my 'slinger. Having cleared EV and KP on normal, and 4/5 EV, 5/5 KP on HM with Team Papercut I've picked up some tips and tricks for ops in addition to HM Flashpoints.

I'll start off with talent setups, right now I have 2 I'll switch between depending on group composition--only 2 points moving around at any rate.

Section 1: Sharpshooter Talents (pew pew!)

Talent Tree #1: Single-Target (Alacrity Boost)
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rcrbdRoRgzZbcZG.1

Talent Tree #2: AoE Strength
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rcrbdRoRgzZbfZh.1

In the first build, the last 2 points go into Black Market Mods for an additional 4% alacrity while in the 2nd build the last 2 points go into Independent Anarchy in the Saboteur tree for a 10% AoE dmg increase. The first build should be the core one in my opinion, but if your group is rather light on aoe damage, the AoE Strength build may be more appropriate.

Other guides I've looked at all recommend maintaining at least 9% alacrity, although they haven't given much explanation. I'm starting to see the real utility now, since at that level you shave off roughly .1 sec off your casted shot times (mostly 1.5 to 1.4) which actually ends up helping you to fit in several Trickshots that you wouldn't be able to otherwise each fight (has a 4.5 sec proc after Charged Burst/Aimed Shot) just before the proc expires. In addition, Speed Shot is our highest dps shot and is tied to our burst cds--being a channeled cast alacrity has a significant effect on its dps.

The two core talents in the sharpshooter tree are Snap Shot and Trickshot.

Snap Shot gives you an instant Charged Burst when you enter cover, with roughly a 6 second cd. This can be extremely effective as an opener, especially as you will also proc a Trickshot. Essentially you get 2 powerful instant shots within 1 GCD of entering cover if you fire back-to-back which is great for picking off adds when not in an AoE situation. While great for a start, it is not worth exiting cover just for an "instant" Charged Burst as the casted version will actually do higher dps if you've got some alacrity (will drop below the GCD). All the same, the instant damage is a must when you're on the move--drop into cover, fire charged burst, get back to moving and fire Trickshot off the GCD (doesn't require cover).

Trickshot is in many ways the best shot in your arsenal: it hits harder than charged burst, benefits from increased crit chance (4%), and gets 30% surge from Deadeye. More importantly, at only 6 energy per shot, you actually regen energy when you fire it! Since you have a base 5 energy regen per second, +1 from being in cover from foxhole, over a 1.5 sec GCD you get 9 energy while spending 6 on it. Doesn't sound like much, but when you're working mostly within a 44 energy range (with the +10 from Bravado) it's actually a significant amount.

In both builds I pick up 3 utility talents: the first 2 are defensive, the third is a tank helper.

As breaking and re-entering cover often is necessary with the amount of movement you need in HMs and Ops, 2/2 Ballistic Dampers is a defensive must. They absorb 30% damage for 3 charges (every 1.5 sec) so if you see your shields down and are taking damage, moving out and back into cover is good (takes me about .25sec, mostly latency based it seems). A bonus here is that snap shot should be up after 6 seconds anyway, so you get an instant charged burst in the move.

Cover Screen is certainly much more optional, providing 20% decreased ranged dmg for 6 seconds when leaving cover. Since it only aids with ranged damage it has less utility, but to me is a better choice than Percussive shot, which gives Aimed Shot a knockback when used within 10m of target (I don't like knockbacks in abilities part of my core rotation, and I have pulse detonator--improved by Spacer talent--at any rate). You could go to reduce the leg shot cd with the Trip Shot talent, but for myself I'd rather just use other abilities against adds if necessary. The nice thing about Cover Screen is that it's passive, easy to activate, and provides some certain survivability.

As for the third utility talent, although it affects only 1 target, Diversion can be a real tank-saver. It drops accuracy by 45% of a target for 9 seconds--quite handy in fights like the pylons in EV where the tank in your group is fighting off 3 powerful elites at once, it essentially can turn them into 2 1/2 at least while the first one gets focused down. Unfortunately it is really only useful for strong adds and has no effect on ops bosses. Of course it can go along way to help you or a teammate as well if you see someone with an add on them.
Longshot66
Prefect

Section 2: Stats

There is no simple rundown for gunslinger stats, e.g. stack crit/surge ad infintum. There are however, some rough guidelines. We will get to know a lot more in the near future as combat logs become available.

Cunning: Primary stat, maximize as possible--it provides bonuses to both power and crit. (Will include actual ratios in a later update, but I do know it's about 7/4 cunning to power ratio for same effect per point)

Accuracy: While the optimal maximum value for gunslingers is still in question (we may have 100% accuracy main hand, but still only 70% offhand), it is strongly advised to be at least at 100% ranged accuracy (+7% from gear after +3% from talents). I currently stay just over the 100% mark, boosting other stats after this threshold is reached.

Power: Power increases our base damage, and is well worth investing in. From what I have gathered, power increases in importance as you move to higher levels of gear. At higher levels of gear you get more of your crit rating from cunning, and have less need to add critical rating to have a good crit % chance. Power also does not have the issue of diminishing returns that occur with other secondary stats. Once you are about half Columi geared or better I would advise stacking power over crit, while keeping your crit above 30% unbuffed.

Critical Rating: Critical Rating can be very strong for gunslingers, due especially to our Aimed Shot cast time reduction procs and the 30% surge bonuses to Speed Shot, Trickshot, and Quickdraw. We get diminishing returns after about 35% (unbuffed), so going much higher than this is not advised.

Surge Rating: Coupled with a healthy critical chance, surge can be a dps enhancer. Some is good, certainly, but I wouldn't strive to stack as much as possible--currently it seems that surge is primarily a pvp stat for gunslingers. Make sure not to go above 75% if you do decide to stack some surge as the diminishing returns are quite sharp.

Alacrity: As I said in the previous section, it seems that 9% alacrity is something to strive for, although I wouldn't put that very high on my priority list until mostly Columi geared at least. I'd leave this as the last stat to work on, although if you get some nice mods and use the alacrity single-target build it can have decent results on single-target dps.
Longshot66
Prefect

Section 3: Rotation

Single-Target Rotation:

1. Opener

[As moving into position, these shots cause little threat and set you up for later]

1. Smuggler's Luck- 100% Charged Burst Crit
2. Flourish Shot- 20% Armor reduction for 45 seconds, some minor damage
3. Vital Shot

[After giving the tank a couple of seconds to gather threat and entering cover]
1. Charged Burst- uses up Smuggler's Luck
2. Trickshot
3. Aimed Shot- 1.5 sec cast due to Charged Burst crit
4. Speed Shot
[burst]
5. Relic + Rapid Fire + Adrenal + Illegal Mods (no GCD)
6. Speed Shot --> Speed Shot
7. Surrender (you build a lot of threat from burst)
8. Charged Shot --> Trickshot --> Aimed Shot (if up)
[end burst]

Tip: I've found with a little over 8% alacrity you can still fire off an Aimed Shot with Illegal Mods still active for a 1.1 sec cast during burst.

After this, if you have the luxury of standing and shooting for a bit, you will move into the standard "cover" priority rotation...it's hardly mechanical, and you'll want to keep an eye out for procs--for energy management I work to include Trickshot off every proc as possible--a "dps increase" from a higher cost shot that puts you in an energy hole is a dps loss in the long run.

Just to make it as simple as possible to begin with, you should work within these 4 shots until you get more comfortable with the situational shots. A note on Aimed shot, even if it's activation reduction time proc isn't up, it can still be worth casting, the energy gain while casting can offset the dps "loss" of the extra second cast (interestingly, with some alacrity you lose less than a second off the base time).

1. Speed Shot
2. Aimed Shot
3. Trickshot
4. Charged Burst

A more advanced rotation organized for "optimal" dps would be:

1. Full Burst [see 5-8 in opening]
2. Speed Shot
3. Aimed Shot (with buff)
4. Trickshot
5. Charged Burst (with Smuggler's Luck and Aimed Shot coming off cd within 5 sec)
6. Aimed Shot (without buff)
7. Charged Burst
8. Flurry of Bolts

Execution Phase:

When your target falls below 30% health, Quickdraw enters into your rotation. With a 4-piece set bonus it only costs 7 energy to fire, and this is extremely handy--like Trickshot, you actually gain a small amount of energy back when firing. It is also a shot you can fire while on the move, and with talent bonuses a Quickdraw crit can be almost as powerful as an Aimed Shot crit. In practice I usually place this at the top of my priority list to fire off cd, as Quickdraw (with the 4 piece bonus) is a very powerful shot that is also energy efficient. Once you hit execution phase you almost never need your filler (Flurry of Bolts) and your dps rises at the most vital time in most boss fights.

Tip: Try to make sure you have Cool Head up for energy regen as you enter an execution phase. It is better to fire more powerful shots as you can--especially when popping cds--and then pop cool head before you drop below 30% at the lowest (this gets you back into optimal energy regen range without really having to interrupt firing).

Additional Comments:

Now things like using your full burst are actually quite situational, you'll want a good period of 6-7 seconds minimum to make use of the best of the shots while your cds are rolling, longer if possible. Timing use with other buffs like the sentinel's 15% 15 second damage buff can also be important. Sometimes saving your power shots for a few seconds when you know you'll be needing them to knock out adds is also advisable. Remember that this is just a rough guide, and should certainly not be followed dogmatically.

Note in the Opening I also included Vital Shot and Flourish Shot. These are extremely useful shots, but somewhat situational.

Vital Shot actually does slightly less dps than a Charged Burst, but being a DoT it can still have effect while you are on the move. If all of my other shots are on cd, with only the option of spamming charged burst and Flurry of Bolts, and I have some energy to spare, I'll get Vital Shots up--I don't worry about keeping it up all of the time, but it can be a decent addition.

Flourish Shot is a unique debuff a gunslinger can apply to reduce the target's armor by 20% for 45 seconds in a single shot. Of course many other classes have armor reducing debuffs--but all of the others need to stack and usually only last for 15 seconds. Used at the opening of an encounter, or after the group has been focused elsewhere, Flourish Shot can provide a small dps boost for everyone. Once the other debuffs get applied it does not stack, so there is no need to re-apply in extended dps situations, only at the start and after extended breaks. At times your group will be split, and re-application may be necessary if you are the only only one providing the debuff. I would say it is worth applying to elites (golds) and up, but not really worth bothering for strongs when targeting adds.

Energy Management:

In order to make sure you have max energy regen, you will want to mostly stay in bounds of your top 44 energy points, that is Energy >60%. Once you get in an energy hole, it's really hard to pop back out without using cool head. While you shouldn't use it more than absolutely necessary, Flurry of Bolts should be used as filler when you really need some energy back. Good places to fit it are just before another shot comes off cd, I'll spam a couple at times when only charged burst is up of my core shots and I'm hovering close to 60%. If you find yourself below 60% with no Cool Head to bring you out, your only real option is to spam Flurry until you get back into range. The further down you go the more dps you'll be losing overall.

AoE Rotation: Smugglers have more than we get credit for!

1. XS Flyby
2. Surrender (by 2nd tick if you've fired grenade and are into Sweeping Gunfire you'll pull off most tanks)
3. Thermal Grenade
4. Sweeping Gunfire
5. Thermal Grenade
6. Sweeping Gunfire...etc.
Crazylor
Senator

Not a sniper but if we can get some sniper support for this I'll sticky it for future ref! Seems really well made though! Great job!

Thanks for sharing! Happy
Longshot66
Prefect

3.15.12 Marks Sniper PvE Guide

This guide is currently a reformulation of a gunslinger guide I put together for my Republic guild. I'll continue to update it as more information becomes available--at this point likely come 1.2.

I'll start off with talent setups, right now I have 2 I'll switch between depending on group composition--only 2 points moving around at any rate.

Section 1: Marksmanship Talents (pew pew!)

Talent Tree #1: Single-Target (Alacrity Boost)
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rcrbdRoRgzZbcZG.1

Talent Tree #2: AoE Strength
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rcrbdRoRgzZbfZh.1

In the first build, the last 2 points go into Deadly Directive for an additional 4% alacrity while in the 2nd build the last 2 points go into Explosive Engineering in the Engineering tree for a 10% AoE dmg increase. The first build should be the core one in my opinion, but if your group is rather light on aoe damage, the AoE Strength build may be more appropriate.

Other guides I've looked at all recommend maintaining at least 9% alacrity, although they haven't given much explanation. I'm starting to see the real utility now, since at that level you shave off roughly .1 sec off your casted shot times (mostly 1.5 to 1.4) which actually ends up helping you to fit in several Followthroughs that you wouldn't be able to otherwise each fight (has a 4.5 sec proc after Snipe/Ambush) just before the proc expires. In addition, Series of Shots is our highest dps shot and is tied to our burst cds--being a channeled cast alacrity has a significant effect on its dps.

The two core talents in the sharpshooter tree are Snap Shot and Followthrough.

Snap Shot gives you an instant Snipe when you enter cover, with roughly a 6 second cd. This can be extremely effective as an opener, especially as you will also proc a Followthrough. Essentially you get 2 powerful instant shots within 1 GCD of entering cover if you fire back-to-back which is great for picking off adds when not in an AoE situation. While great for a start, it is not worth exiting cover just for an "instant" Snipe as the casted version will actually do higher dps if you've got some alacrity (will drop below the GCD). All the same, the instant damage is a must when you're on the move--drop into cover, fire charged burst, get back to moving and fire Followthrough off the GCD (doesn't require cover).

Followthrough is in many ways the best shot in your arsenal: it hits harder than Snipe, benefits from increased crit chance (4%), and gets 30% surge from Imperial Assassin. More importantly, at only 6 energy per shot, you actually regen energy when you fire it! Since you have a base 5 energy regen per second, +1 from being in cover from Sniper's Nest, over a 1.5 sec GCD you get 9 energy while spending 6 on it. Doesn't sound like much, but when you're working mostly within a 44 energy range (with the +10 from Energy Tanks) it's actually a significant amount.

In both builds I pick up 3 utility talents: the first 2 are defensive, the third is a tank helper.

As breaking and re-entering cover often is necessary with the amount of movement you need in HMs and Ops, 2/2 Ballistic Dampers is a defensive must. They absorb 30% damage for 3 charges (every 1.5 sec) so if you see your shields down and are taking damage, moving out and back into cover is good (takes me about .25sec, mostly latency based it seems). A bonus here is that Snap Shot should be up after 6 seconds anyway, so you get an instant Snipe in the move.

Cover Screen is certainly much more optional, providing 20% decreased ranged dmg for 6 seconds when leaving cover. Since it only aids with ranged damage it has less utility, but to me is a better choice than Heavy Shot, which gives Ambush Shot a knockback when used within 10m of target (I don't like knockbacks in abilities part of my core rotation, and I have Cover Pulse--improved by Sector Ranger talent--at any rate). You could go to reduce the Leg Shot cd with the Imperial Demarcation talent, but for myself I'd rather just use other abilities against adds if necessary. The nice thing about Cover Screen is that it's passive, easy to activate, and provides some certain survivability.

As for the third utility talent, although it affects only 1 target, Diversion can be a real tank-saver. It drops accuracy by 45% of a target for 9 seconds--quite handy in fights like the pylons in EV where the tank in your group is fighting off 3 powerful elites at once, it essentially can turn them into 2 1/2 at least while the first one gets focused down. Unfortunately it is really only useful for strong adds and has no effect on ops bosses. Of course it can go along way to help you or a teammate as well if you see someone with an add on them.
Longshot66
Prefect

Section 2: Stats

There is no simple rundown for Sniper stats, e.g. stack crit/surge ad infintum. There are however, some rough guidelines. We will get to know a lot more in the near future as combat logs become available.

Cunning: Primary stat, maximize as possible--it provides bonuses to both power and crit. (Will include actual ratios in a later update, but I do know it's about 7/4 cunning to power ratio for same effect per point)

Accuracy: While the optimal maximum value for Snipers is still in question (some guides say 105%, but this seems for pvp, it is unclear how exactly accuracy over 100% impacts PvE--if anyone can shed more light on this, please let me know), it is strongly advised to be at least at 100% ranged accuracy (+7% from gear after +3% from talents). I currently stay just over the 100% mark, boosting other stats after this threshold is reached.

Power: Power increases our base damage, and is well worth investing in. From what I have gathered, power increases in importance as you move to higher levels of gear. At higher levels of gear you get more of your crit rating from cunning, and have less need to add critical rating to have a good crit % chance. Power also does not have the issue of diminishing returns that occur with other secondary stats. Once you are about half Columi geared or better I would advise stacking power over crit, while keeping your crit above 30% unbuffed.

Critical Rating: Critical Rating can be very strong for Snipers, due especially to our Ambush cast time reduction procs and the 30% surge bonuses to Series of Shots, Followthrough, and Takedown. We get diminishing returns (not from stat values, but actual damage--surge dependent but a good rough measure) after about 35% (unbuffed), so going much higher than this is not advised.

Surge Rating: Coupled with a healthy critical chance, surge can be a dps enhancer. Some is good, certainly, but I wouldn't strive to stack as much as possible--currently it seems that surge is primarily a pvp stat for gunslingers. Make sure not to go above 75% if you do decide to stack some surge as the diminishing returns are quite sharp.
Longshot66
Prefect

Section 3: Rotation

Single-Target Rotation:

1. Opener

[As moving into position, these shots cause little threat and set you up for later]

1. Laze Target- 100% Snipe Crit
2. Shatter Shot- 20% Armor reduction for 45 seconds, some minor damage
3. Corrosive Dart

[After giving the tank a couple of seconds to gather threat and entering cover]
1. Snipe - uses up Laze Target, 100% crit
2. Followthrough
3. Ambush - 1.5 sec cast due to Snipe crit
4. Series of Shots
[burst]
5. Relic + Rapid Fire + Adrenal + Target Acquired (no GCD)
6. Series of Shots --> Series of Shots
7. Countermeasures (you build a lot of threat from burst--however for smugglers at least this ability is currently broken)
8. Snipe --> Followthrough --> Ambush (if up)
[end burst]

Tip: I've found with a little over 8% alacrity you can still fire off an Ambush with Illegal Mods still active for a 1.1 sec cast during burst.

2. Standard Rotation

After this, if you have the luxury of standing and shooting for a bit, you will move into the standard "cover" priority rotation...it's hardly mechanical, and you'll want to keep an eye out for procs--for energy management I work to include Trickshot off every proc as possible--a "dps increase" from a higher cost shot that puts you in an energy hole is a dps loss in the long run.

Just to make it as simple as possible to begin with, you should work within these 4 shots until you get more comfortable with the situational shots. A note on Ambush, even if its activation reduction time proc isn't up, it can still be worth casting, the energy gain while casting can offset the dps "loss" of the extra second cast (interestingly, with some alacrity you lose less than a second off the base time).

1. Series of Shots
2. Ambush
3. Followthrough
4. Snipe

A more advanced rotation organized for "optimal" dps would be:

1. Full Burst [see 5-8 in opening]
2. Series of Shots
3. Ambush (with buff)
4. Followthrough
5. Snipe (with Laze Target and Ambush coming off cd within 5 sec)
6. Ambush (without buff)
7. Snipe
8. Rifle Shot (filler)

3. Execution Phase:

When your target falls below 30% health, Takedown enters into your rotation. With a 4-piece set bonus it only costs 7 energy to fire, and this is extremely handy--like Followthrough, you actually gain a small amount of energy back when firing. It is also a shot you can fire while on the move, and with talent bonuses a Takedown crit can be almost as powerful as an Ambush crit. In practice I usually place this at the top of my priority list to fire off cd, as Quickdraw (with the 4 piece bonus) is a very powerful shot that is also energy efficient. Once you hit execution phase you almost never need your filler (Rifle Shot) and your dps rises at the most vital time in most boss fights.

Tip: Try to make sure you have Adrenaline Probe up for energy regen as you enter an execution phase. It is better to fire more powerful shots as you can--especially when popping cds--and then pop cool head before you drop below 30% at the lowest (this gets you back into optimal energy regen range without really having to interrupt firing).

4. Additional Comments:

Now things like using your full burst are actually quite situational, you'll want a good period of 6-7 seconds minimum to make use of the best of the shots while your cds are rolling, longer if possible. Timing use with other buffs like the marauder's 15% 15 second damage buff can also be important. Sometimes saving your power shots for a few seconds when you know you'll be needing them to knock out adds is also advisable. Remember that this is just a rough guide, and should certainly not be followed dogmatically.

Note in the Opening I also included Corrosive Dart and Shatter Shot. These are extremely useful shots, but somewhat situational.

Corrosive Dart actually does slightly less dps than a Snipe, but being a DoT it can still have effect while you are on the move. If all of my other shots are on cd, with only the option of spamming Snipe and Rifle Shot, and I have some energy to spare, I'll get Corrosive Dart up--I don't worry about keeping it up all of the time, but it can be a decent addition.

Shatter Shot is a unique debuff a Sniper can apply to reduce the target's armor by 20% for 45 seconds in a single shot. Of course many other classes have armor reducing debuffs--but all of the others need to stack and usually only last for 15 seconds. Used at the opening of an encounter, or after the group has been focused elsewhere, Flourish Shot can provide a small dps boost for everyone. Once the other debuffs get applied it does not stack, so there is no need to re-apply in extended dps situations, only at the start and after extended breaks. At times your group will be split, and re-application may be necessary if you are the only only one providing the debuff. I would say it is worth applying to elites (golds) and up, but not really worth bothering for strongs when targeting adds.

5. Energy Management:

In order to make sure you have max energy regen, you will want to mostly stay in bounds of your top 44 energy points, that is Energy >60%. Once you get in an energy hole, it's really hard to pop back out without using adrenaline probe. While you shouldn't use it more than absolutely necessary, Rifle Shot should be used as filler when you really need some energy back. Good places to fit it are just before another shot comes off cd, I'll spam a couple at times when only charged burst is up of my core shots and I'm hovering close to 60%. If you find yourself below 60% with no Cool Head to bring you out, your only real option is to spam Rifle Shot until you get back into range. The further down you go the more dps you'll be losing overall.

AoE Rotation: Snipers have more than we get credit for!

1. Orbital Strike
2. Countermeasures (by 2nd tick if you've fired grenade and are into Sweeping Gunfire you'll pull off most tanks)
3. Fragmentation Grenade
4. Suppressive Fire
5. Fragmentation Grenade
6. Suppressive Fire...etc.

Alacrity: As I said in the previous section, it seems that 9% alacrity is something to strive for, although I wouldn't put that very high on my priority list until mostly Columi geared at least. I'd leave this as the last stat to work on, although if you get some nice mods and use the alacrity single-target build it can have decent results on single-target dps.
Longshot66
Prefect

Well I got it updated while the servers are down this afternoon, I may have missed a term change here or there, oh well. I was unable to edit my own posts which was kind of a pita, so that's why I re-posted the edited versions. Any feedback/critiques are welcome.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Umbra Forum Index -> Sniper All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: