Post new topic   Reply to topic    Umbra Forum Index -> Guild News & Game Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer Six
Emperor

re: Are you guys concerned?

Some have stated that they are concerned that this game will be a single player game with the capability of having others join in. Others have complained that the game is going to have the look and feel of a single player RPG. I think that there is a subtle middle ground approach that BioWare is taking and bringing to us.

In short, most people that play MMO's tend to solo as they progress at least initially. Many times people want to focus in on getting things understood, and then grouping during big group required quests or in end game. It has been my experience that many times I group on the second or additional follow on alts to make the time pass quicker. Regardless, I think that many will be solo-ing initially to get the "story" in a clear manner to enjoy the single player parts, then reconnect in a big way close to end game or as they progress in PvP. Imagine how hard it will be to listen to the "fully voiced" dialog while hanging in VENT while people chat.

Forum Image

I am not stating that this is a single player, but I am wondering what the specifics points are going to be in this game that folks will want to group and when they will want to solo to get the full immersion of the experience. I know I plan to have toons I solo with and others I group with for the guild.

What are your thoughts? Are you concerned this game will be a solo centric game at first or at least while folks level up initially? Is that a bad thing? I am just curious.

re: group influences on character development

it would seem to me that theyre following very closely on the roots that they know, that is to say, a strong single player campaign. we have seen evidence that there will be a group aspect in the form of "dungeons". also, as far as why people play MMO's, i have been having multiple conversations with people trying to determine the root. i conjecture that it is the ability to thrive in an economy, the ability to choose a trade or a gathering profession, and peddle wares that would otherwise be both a litigious and logistically daunting task that compels people into such a deep level of immersion within the game setting. while most MMo players are graduates from single player RPG's and do seek that fantastical immersion, the thing that keeps them coming back is a robust, self sustaining, self regulating economy. As long as that aspect is there, and the story is fleshed out enough to keep players immersed in the fantasy, the grouping aspect may come secondarily. I dont necessarily see this as something to be concerned about. The game, in my opinion, shouldnt force group content, the way that some other's do. the moral decision making inherent to the overall development of character within game doesnt necessarily restrict a group experience, but it does present the question as to how much influence you want a group of people to have on the overall outcome of your individual character.

Forum Image

I am really not concerned because I think it will be a different play experience than your standard MMO and that is what I think Bioware is going for.

What I normally do when leveling up is that I have two separate toons. I have one when running around alone and one so I can run with friends and not by pass them in story line or questing. So I level them both in completely different ways.

You are right about the vent issue, no way in hell that I will be able to listen to both in game dialog and vent at the same time. I've been in guild vents that have over 100+ people in it that are trying to talk and that's freaking annoying. It's like walking into a conference room and trying to talk over everyone who is there and frankly vent is not even designed for that many folks talking, it's designed for short burst communication.

Do we know if they are going to have sub titles to the dialog and do we know if they will have a in game voice system?
Buttniks
Chancellor

I have a few. But nothing too major.

I'm not so worried that its going to be a solo centric game. If they give better rewards for grouping, like instead of "uncommon gear" the give "rare or better gear". I know they sorta do that in current MMO's. But you know, something along those lines. I think I lot of players who are gear hungry would opt for grouping whenever possible. I'm almost sure I heard something like that in one of the interviews.

Reaching to the max level so quickly might not be bad. While you can miss out on some social events with guildies.. Some people just have a lot of time to play. But in the end all that really matters is that they know their role and know how to play it.. At least in my own opinion. I'm a slow leveler. So I won't reach max level for a while. Unless I have a ungodly amount of free time.

I guess when we go on vent we can have some mute key bindings whenever there's dialogue.(I don't know a whole a lot about Vent) Or when grouping have quiet time where no one in the group talks, laughs, etc. Might even have to resort to guild chat in game when solo questing.

Edit: That Sith Inquisitor armor looks fucking badass. I want.

Buttniks wrote:
But in the end all that really matters is that they know their role and know how to play it.

Well that is what it all boils down to. I know that solo play is a much different style of play than group dynamics. I also feel that it is very important to get some of the group play in while leveling so at endgame you aren't "That Guy" your group. I am more concerned with how your group will affect your story and if their decisions will alter how you will play.

Personally I love to do solo stuff (Secondary skills and exploring ect.) and I think there will be enough of it to keep the casual gamer going strong. It seems they are making every effort to get both play styles enough of the "Epic Feel" as possible.

Regardless of your path we will all end up in the same place and it is up to you to make it as enjoyable as possible. I am of the "Play how it makes you happy" school of thought. As long as someone isn't yelling "More Dots!" in my ear I am cool...

MORE DOTS DAMN IT, MORE DOTS!!!!! twisted

-Malevol-
Chancellor

Edit: That Sith Inquisitor armor looks fucking badass. I want.[/quote]

I agree it looks pretty badass, I can't wait to wear a set. Going Sith Assassin as my main.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Umbra Forum Index -> Guild News & Game Updates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: