Post new topic   Reply to topic    Umbra Forum Index -> Guild News & Game Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer Six
Emperor

re: Are we headed toward a single player game.

Guild,

A lot of people have been discussing things that are perceived as potential problems for the game of SWTOR, in terms of a MMORPG. Essentially, we have learned that:

1. You will manage NPC's that will do the crafting for you
2. You will manage NPC's that will gather for you
3. You will have your companion's sell your gray loot, and return with cash
4. You will have a ship, not a house
5. Your ship will act as your bank
6. You will be crafting on your ship
7. You can access so many things in game, from anywhere

Forum Image

Dev: Georg Zoeller has been fighting the good fight on the Dev Tracker: http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php You decide; however, this topic has been fodder on: Darth Hater, TOROcast, Mos Eisley Radio, and GameBreaker TV. I think we will have this cleared up for us at PAX East with their updated hands on experience. Either way, some will be disappointed regardless.

I certainly hope that innovative mechanics aren't shut down because certain elements of a gaming community lack vision. I've never found the tedious tasks in a mmo fostered any sort of community experience. Immersion keeps people playing, not being forced to empty one's pixelated bags at predesignated locations throughout the galaxy.
Vrock_Swtor

this is a situation that I am watching closely as this has the potential to be a non-issue, or it has the potential to be a serious one.

Bioware is an awesome company when it comes to designing games I will give them that, they have created some of the most memorable experiences for me as a gamer.

One area I feel is a weak point for them however is how to integrate there awesomeness into a MMO style realm though. They just dont have the experience under their belt as far as designing games that work in the MMO online active, alive, space. They may have played them but do they really know what to put in the game to make it feel alive?

The feeling of a server being "alive" is best to not underestimate how it affects happiness of the consumer looking to partake n this sort of community experience. It has the potential to affect longevity of the paying subscription as well.

maybe they will blow us away with all the things they have planned and this issue will be moot, maybe not. Not sure about how I swing on this subject just quite yet.

I do just hope that bioware has realized the seriousness of this issue though.

Buttniks
Chancellor

I think a lot of those ideas are innovative and what some mmo's lack. I'm know that most of those people who complain about the small things have to be trolls.

Crafting when you think about it, you are crafting. You're still selecting what you want to craft, except you're not standing at the station for hours. Gathering I'm sure there will be a limit that your npc can gather. I'm sure people who really care about crafting will still go out and gather manually at the same time.

Selling gray loot while you're out adventuring your bag will fill up, especially at low levels. A problem I often found in Rift where I still didn't have a mount and would have to waste time walking back to the nearest camp, possibly fighting more enemies and taking more time.

Ship, house, same thing.

Since when did people start complaining about convenience?

Prefect

Though our ships will act as our bank im sure the guild banks will be in the capital cities.

I think it will be fun no matter what, I like the fact that you can do a lot of stuff on the ship and that the companion and doing so much, it gives you more time to really enjoy the Game

I don't take issue with any of that. If anything I look forward to the new way of doing things.
Ren_Ahern
Chancellor

Actually I thought about it more. I take issue with not having a house in addition to my ship...and a guild capital ship, and maybe an old monastery on Tatooine with a Rancor living under the subfloor that Umbra can turn into our guild hall. I'm a materialistic Sith I guess. But none of that is game breaking and I can always hope they'll add more post launch.
Vrock_Swtor

InquisitorAaron wrote:
But none of that is game breaking and I can always hope they'll add more post launch.

I honestly believe that we are in for some amazing expansions and features from Bioware, I just believe it because there are so many awesome things they could do with in game mechanics they could add.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Umbra Forum Index -> Guild News & Game Updates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: