View previous topic :: View next topic  
P1zzaTheHut
Senator

re: Duck and Cover System

As I watch the videos of this system I start thinking of useful it really is. Don't get me wrong IA is one of 2 classes I am thinking of starting for my main class.

I know we have not seen anything on raiding and late game on the system but to me is how useful will it be on a big raid for duck and cover. Will you be able to survive longer hiding and dpsing while the boss doesn't pay any attention to you? If tank is tanking the beating there no point for duck and cover.

PvP stand point this might work well but havn't seen it actually in action and if the place were u hide is almost in the open you won't have time to hide. Also if your name is above your head i mean whats the point of hiding to give that surprise attack like a SNIPER should have. I know the mmo has codes once the fire on u, you will still get attacked and covering might not help on that.

Just my thought, hopefully someone can school me on some info or other opinions on this.

Not trying to complain on something small just wondering how viable this system is and if they shoulda taken it out for something different if the SNiper can't have the Surprise or Operative hide to heal teammates without getting hit in PVE.
Buttniks
Chancellor

The duck and cover system might give the Agent more survivability but it might get balance by making him a glass canon. His weakness might be getting flanked around his shield/barrier. I'm actually interested in the IA, sounds kinda challenging playing that class.

Senator

if they tweak it out to make it challenging, then I will be gung ho for that!
Bobthetall
Prefect

I think i saw the same clip your talking about. If you have played Mass effect or gears of war you'll have an idea of what they are going for. how ever unlike in those two game in TOR it looked like you don't get to pick your cover points they do, unless you drop your cover shield. which made my nerd rage go up a little, but oh well. so unless you can drop your shield and leave it there as a decoy while you hide behind a rock, cover in PVP will be tough. i would think in an operation(cough raid cough) there will be some agro loss while in cover. but just a little more then if your standing there not doing anything. Since that pretty much what you will be doing. just my thoughts on it.

MrFester

Never played ME2 huh? Put it on a highest difficulty and you can see how viable duck and cover is, and it is a must use! Happy

I am very intrigued by the IA for the duck and cover mechanic. That's one of the main reasons that I am leaning strongly toward making the IA my main.

It seems like we are all hoping that there are plenty of opportunities for cover without dropping the insta-cover. Seems like to get the most out of the SNIPER, you'd have to use some kind of cover to get the most out of your toon (Isn't there a +hit or +crit offensive bonus & a -hit and -crit defensive bonus with the cover mechanic?)

With regards to the advanced classes, the SNIPER seems to be a similar to a mage, while the OPERATIVE seems to be similar to a melee healer. As a mage, a few hits and you're dead anyway with or without cover. A melee healer with some burst damage however, would combine survivability with damage.

Of course, all these opinions come without playing the game. Nevertheless, both seem challenging in their own right, due to the unknown and complexities of the cover mechanic.

Kablamo
Pazaak
Prefect

I've read IA game play as a sniper to basically be staying at range (35m with upgrade) which when you play feels like it is a very long distance and hope to kill the opposition before they can get to you. The shield has a timer, which you lay it down and it lasts a long time, but there is also a short time period where it's on cooldown and a new one can't be dropped if you move from cover (should certainly change). They're also working on making more natural cover into the game. It's a difficult class to master, but has strengths and weaknesses like all classes will.

HK-47: "Query: Can I kill him now, master? I would like ever so much to crush his neck, just a little. It is a long-time fantasy of mine."
Revan: "Maybe later."
HK-47: "You hear that, meatbag? I will be back!"
Kablamo
Pazaak
Prefect

I've read IA game play as a sniper to basically be staying at range (35m with upgrade) which when you play feels like it is a very long distance and hope to kill the opposition before they can get to you. The shield has a timer, which you lay it down and it lasts a long time, but there is also a short time period where it's on cooldown and a new one can't be dropped if you move from cover (should certainly change). They're also working on making more natural cover into the game. It's a difficult class to master, but has strengths and weaknesses like all classes will.

HK-47: "Query: Can I kill him now, master? I would like ever so much to crush his neck, just a little. It is a long-time fantasy of mine."
Revan: "Maybe later."
HK-47: "You hear that, meatbag? I will be back!"
Virtek
Senator

Here's what I've gathered from reading the IA stuff on cover so far:

When behind cover, you have incoming damage reduction, and outgoing damage increase.

Certain skills are *only* available behind cover.

If you are actually doing the duck part (aka ducking down and not attacking, aiming, or anything offensive), you have 100% damage reduction. I would assume it's only from the frontal direction though.

Movable cover is very convenient but, last I heard someone talk about it, it feels slightly awkward in use.

And everything people mentioned above.

With this in mind, there are def incentives to cover as much as possible, even in operations. Defensive and offensive bonuses. When the boss is about to do "Huge AoE Bomb Skill"...you'll wanna hide behind yer cover for a few seconds to nullify that damage. Which, btw, James Ohlen just commented in an interview about how that specific mechanic might be abused....

Plus, if there are skills that can only be used while in cover, they're prolly pretty damn strong. So a challange will be created in heavy movement fights to stay behind cover as much as possible.

Sounds like a lot of fun, to me.

Shameless self-promotion!! - www.Facebook.com/DJVirtek - www.Mixcloud.com/Virtek - www.Soundcloud.com/Virtek - Twitter = @DJVirtek
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Umbra Forum Index -> Imperial Agent All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: